The Stack’s Bowers Galleries auction at the New York International Numismatic Convention exceeded expectations bringing tremendous results for our consignors. Perhaps nothing illustrates the strong prices realized better than the top five prices achieved in our offering of Part 1 of the Mark and Lottie Salton Collection featuring Ancient Greek, Polish, and Russia items. (All prices include the buyers’ fee.)
- POLAND. Medallic 10 Ducats, 1595. Vilnius Mint. Sigismund III. PCGS Genuine–Tooled, AU Details. Realized $480,000, far beyond the high estimate of $150,000.
- SICILY. Syracuse. Dionysios I, 406-367 B.C. AR Dekadrachm (43.38 gms), Obverse and Reverse dies signed by Kimon, ca. 405-400 B.C. NGC Ch VF★, Strike: 5/5 Surface: 5/5. Fine Style. Realized $360,000, more than triple the low estimate.
- POLAND. Danzig. Medallic 7 Ducats, ND (1592). Sigismund III. PCGS AU-55. Realized $360,000, $160,000 above the high estimate.
- POLAND. Riga. Ducat, 1584. Stephan Bathori. PCGS AU-50. This piece of the highest rarity from the Riga Mint sold for $216,000 far surpassing the $40,000-$60,000 estimate.
- SICILY. Syracuse. Dionysios I, 406-367 B.C. AR Dekadrachm (43.27 gms), Reverse die signed by Euainetos, ca. 405-390 B.C. NGC Ch EF★, Strike: 5/5 Surface: 4/5. Fine Style. This second Dekadrachm from Syracuse, this one signed by Euainetos realized $198,000.
All these exceptional prices highlight the strong value Stack’s Bowers Galleries provides to their clients who consign their coins to be sold at auction. With the conclusion of this successful New York sale, Stack’s Bowers Galleries shifts their attention to the February Collectors Choice Auction and the April Hong Kong sale.
Prices Realized for the Salton Collection Part 1 and the January 2022 NYINC auction can be found at StacksBowers.com.
We are always seeking world and ancient coins, medals, and paper money for our auctions, and are currently accepting consignments for our Spring 2022 Hong Kong auction and our Collectors Choice Online (CCO) auctions. If you would like to learn more about consigning, whether a singular item or an entire collection, please contact a consignment director or email email@example.com today and we will assist you in achieving the best possible return on your material.